Community fridges are meant to help people fill gaps for their food-insecure neighbors that are not being addressed by the state. They’re stocked with groceries by members of the community and can be accessed at no cost by anyone who needs food. They operate on a “take what you need, give what you can” basis, but organizers stress that contributing food to a fridge is not a precondition for taking food.
Read more about community fridges in and around the Boston area here.
COMMUNITY FRIDGES IN THE BOSTON AREA:
– Dorchester Community Fridge at 1471 Dorchester Ave, Dorchester
– Somerville Community Fridge at 35 Prospect St, Somerville
– Cambridge Community Fridge at 52 Church St, Cambridge
– Allston Community Fridge at 1 N Beacon, Allston
– Roslindale Community Fridge at 4140 Washington St, Roslindale
– Jamaica Plain Community Fridge at 366 Centre St, Jamaica Plain
– Mattapan Community Fridge at 1290 Bluehill Ave, Mattapan
– Lynn Community Fridge at TBA