Right here Boston
Date Idea, Meetup, Sports & Active Life, University
Whether you're doing dry January or just trying to kick off 2019 on the right foot, here are 24 mostly-free fitness activities happening in/around Boston this month...
1) Hip Hop Yoga (FREE) Thu, 1/10
Start your year with a fun and sweaty hip hop yoga class ft. live music by DJ Sprino. After class, stay and party at New Balance's flagship store with light refreshments and a chance to shop their semi-annual sale.
2) Harvard Stadium: Stairs (FREE) Wed, 1/16
The weekly workout that started it all. On 11/11/11, Brogan & Bojan showed up to Harvard Stadium at 6:30am for a stair workout. At the time, they called it “The November Project” -- the name stuck and the rest is history. #justshowup
3) Booty by Brabants ($10) Tue, 1/8
A high-intensity workout sesh, followed by a low-calorie cocktail hour sponsored by KEEL Vodka and trunk show all in the name of charity.
4) Intro to Zen Meditation (FREE) Thu, 1/24
The OG of weekly meditation sessions in the Boston area. A guided meditation sesh followed by a dharma talk. Afterwards, stick around for tea.
5) Taproom Yoga ($10) Sun, 1/20
Admission covers a group session with a CorePower instructor and your first beer from the tap. Sundays in January.
6) CorePower Yoga Sculpt (FREE) Sun, 1/13
It is usually $20+ a class, but these sessions are free because thank goodness for teachers in training.
7) Self Defense & Fitness Training (FREE) Wed, 1/23
Introduction to self-defense, Krav Maga style. Doubles as a workout...and it’s FREE. Every Monday and Wednesday until further notice.
8) Outdoor Ice Skating ($varies) Goes until Fri, 3/15
The only non-workout workout you can find in the city. (Apparently, you can tone up your legs while burning 650 calories an hour while skating.)
9) November Project: Destination Deck (FREE) Mon, 1/14
Location changes every week. “You’ll arrive in some random parking lot, park, or clearing in the forest where we’ll be gathering to start the workout.”
10) BURNIN’ By Ray (FREE) Goes until Sat, 1/12
Free and unlimited don’t usually go together in a sentence. To celebrate the opening of their new studio in Seaport, BURNIN’ by Ray is offering FREE unlimited classes through January 12th.
11) 10k Boot Camp Run (FREE) Tue, 1/8
Embark on a 10k run with five breaks for body weight exercises around Boston. In the end, stick around to celebrate finishing the run with drinks at Scholars bar. Every Tuesday.
12) English Meditation (FREE) Sat, 1/26
Whether you're just curious about what is Buddhism or a dedicated practitioner, everyone is welcome to join Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple for their weekly meditation sesh every Saturday through 3/30.
13) Kick It By Eliza @ Athleta (FREE) Sun, 1/13
Join Steph as she leads you through a “Kick It By Eliza” class at Athleta.
14) Beginner Charleston Lessons (FREE) Sat, 1/12
If your New Year’s resolution is to learn new things, then this beginner Charleston dance class might just be the perfect start.
15) Tranquil Tuesdays ($15) Tue, 1/8
Kick off your day in a zen state with Boston Buddha in YOTEL’s rooftop Sky Lounge.
16) Social Swing Dance & Lesson (FREE) Wed, 1/16
MIT’s long-running social swing dance sesh (FREE lesson included). Every Wednesday; organized by MIT Lindy Hop Society.
17) Winter Warmer Fun Run (FREE) Thu, 1/17
Embark on a “fun run” starting at Marathon Sports in Brookline. After you run, warm up via some hot cocoa.
18) November Project: Summit Ave (FREE) Fri, 1/25
Summit Avenue is a street that runs up Corey Hill on the Brighton–Brookline line. This workout covers a 4-mile long portion of the Brookline side.
19) Yoga for Balance at FoMu ($10) Sun, 1/20
Yoga in an ice cream parlor: “This class will teach you to find the line between comfort and growth.”
20) Indoor Group Rides (FREE) Sun, 1/13
Giant Boston is hosting weekly indoor cycling sessions throughout the winter season on Thursdays and Sundays. Bring your own bike.
21) Everybody Fights: TRAINx360 Seaport (FREE) Wed, 1/16
Join Wellness for Women In Real Estate for a FREE workout at Everybody Fights, followed by smoothies and a networking sesh at Strategic Spaces.
22) Yoga in the Beer Garden ($10) Sun, 1/20
Nothing speaks “new year, new me” like a yoga sesh in a brewery. Join other fellow yogis at Remnant Brewery for an hour of vinyasa flow followed by ice cold craft brews. Every Sunday in January.
23) Intro to Tai Chi (FREE) Tue, 1/29
"Tai Chi makes the weak person strong, the strong person gentle; the old person youthful, and the young person wise."
24) $5 Slow Flow ($5) Mon, 1/14
A great class for new yogis to get their footing in a safe and welcoming environment, and for seasoned practitioners to explore a more rooted flow.
Photo by @lauramcgreen (November Project at Harvard Stadium):