https://www.union.fit/events/coolidge-yoga-yoga-101/performances/pmwtcqtg Coolidge Yoga Brookline
1297 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA 02446
Classes, Sports & Active Life
Perfect for beginners or practitioners looking to reestablish proper alignment and mindset for Yoga. This workshop will help you make the most of your yoga practice. Come to learn more about the basics of yoga including core philosophies of this ancient tradition, introductory breathing practices, proper alignment techniques, and how props can support a safe practice.
This two-hour workshop provides a safe, supportive environment where you can ask plenty of questions as we dive deeper into the following topics:
• A brief history of yoga, Patanjali's 8 Limbs of Yoga (the poses are just one), and a modern take on incorporating yoga philosophy into your life.
• The fundamental yogic breathing technique of Ujjayi or “Victory” breath.
• Alignment and safe modifications for the 10 most common poses in a Hatha or Vinyasa style class.
• Standing Mountain
• Sun Salutations
• Downward Facing Dog
• Low Plank (Chatturanga)
• Cobra and Upward Facing Dog
• Warrior 1
• Warrior 2
• Supported Shoulder Stand
• Introduction to yoga props and how blankets, blocks, and straps can make your practice a little bit sweeter.
In the last half hour, we’ll bring everything together with a gentle flow. Following this workshop, you’ll have new tools and techniques to take onto the mat and a deeper sense of the transformative power of yoga.