https://www.facebook.com/events/217427338745758 Joseph A. Browne Middle School
180 Walnut Street
Chelsea, MA 02150
Spread Positivity’s canine founder, Lola, and her Human need some empathetic people to join us on our welcome visit to newly-arrived immigrant middle school students to simply show them that they are welcome here in our community and in the U.S.. If you like the idea but can not come with us in person, please record an Encouragement Video which we can play for the kids (details below.
See below for event context but here is WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
1) Contact us directly if you want to come with us on the actual visit on May 19th! [email protected]
2) Record a quick Encouragement Video for the kids, include: Your First Name, City, Occupation, and your own words of welcome and encouragement (Please, NO comments about politics).
3) Upload your video to your social media and tag your friends so that they record their own Encouragement Video (and use #SpreadPositivity)
4) Upload your Video to this Event page, to be shared with the kids: https://www.facebook.com/events/217427338745758/
For various reasons, this is a particularly difficult and frightening time to be an immigrant here in America. Now imagine that you are a foreign child who just moved here, you do not yet speak English, you have to start a new school and a new life, all the while filled with uncertainty about how you will be treated, and fear that you and your family might be forced to leave your new home.
Sounds stressful, right? Well, it is. And that is exactly the situation facing the middle school students we will visit Friday, May 19 at he Joseph A. Browne School in Chelsea, MA. The Browne School has a large immigrant and English-as-a-second-language population, and has developed a very strong program supporting immigrant students. Our visit is to welcome a group of those students here.
- The event will consist of a group of people from the Boston area visiting ~40 newly-arrived immigrant students, ages 12-14.
- The goal is simply to demonstrate that there are many kind people in this community and country who welcome these kids here, and encourage their success..
- We will also play the Encouragement Videos at the event
- Steve Jackson Games (www.sjgames.com) has donated games for the students’ classrooms.
- Each student will also receive a Spread Positivity stress ball (since they are stressed!).
NOTE: This visit is NOT about politics. Please leave your political views at home. This is about giving a welcoming, figurative hug to apprehensive kids, and telling them everything will be okay. It is about humans empathizing with and caring about each other. And that is something we all can support, no matter what our politics.