https://bpl.bibliocommons.com/events/6009d1139367b52f00aac64b Online event
700 Boylston St
Boston, MA 02114
Art, Classes, Kid Friendly, Music, Virtual & Streaming
Calling all Massachusetts music moguls ages 13–18! Do you have the beats to beat out your peers in the Boston Public Library’s first-ever STATEWIDE MUSIC MAKER SHOWDOWN? From February 5–25, teen artists from around the state are encouraged to submit their original tracks to BPL’s Virtual Teen Room email ([email protected]), where they will be evaluated by a qualified panel of judges from Cambridge’s The Hip Hop Transformation, ICA Teens, the Clubhouse Network, the Boston Public Library, and more. In addition to being featured on the BPLts Twitch channel’s 2021 streams, our 3 contest winners will be awarded Visa gift cards of up to $150 at our March 5 Music Maker Award Celebration. Eligible contest winners may also be awarded a PAID $100 commission opportunity to produce a brand-new track for the Library’s Twitch and YouTube channels!
Music Maker Workshop: Need a bit of direction…? Care for some LIVE feedback? The experts at The Hip Hop Transformation have your back! On Feb 17 from 4 to 6 pm, professional audio producer Lightfoot and rap titans Red Shaydez and Flash (N.B.S.) will be standing by in our BPL Zoom rooms to give Music Maker Showdown participants real-time, constructive advice and encouragement, regardless of experience level! Teens are encouraged to make shareable copies of or links to their music to display/distribute through Zoom in advance of the session.
Contest Submission Guidelines:
• Our email ([email protected]) opens for contest submissions Friday, February 5 at 4 pm and closes at midnight on Thursday, February 25.
• Participation is limited to teens between the ages of 13 and 18 who are current residents of Massachusetts.
• Each track must be between two (2) and seven (7) minutes in length.
Music files must be emailed as attachments with a total file size of less than 30MB. Links to musical content will not be considered valid submissions.
• Each artist or group may submit a maximum of 3 contest entries. They may submit these at separate times or as a single email.
• Contest emails should use the subject line “MUSIC MAKER SHOWDOWN” and contain the creator’s 1) FULL NAME, 2) FULL ADDRESS, 3) SONG NAME(S), and 4) (optional) ARTIST NAME.
• All musical content must be appropriate for a “PG-13” stream run by the Boston Public Library; all genres are welcome; vocals are optional.
• All musical content must reflect the submitter’s own original work. In the event that submissions contain material subject to another individual’s or entity’s copyright, the BPL reserves the right to disqualify and/or take down a submission.
• Winning tracks will be integrated into BPLts Twitch streams & BPL Teens YouTube videos at BPL’s discretion. By submitting, artists are granting BY-SA licensee status to the Boston Public Library. We encourage all participants to review the definition of BY-SA copyright license here: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
• Submissions will receive confirmation when their track has been successfully received.
Teens are encouraged to follow up with missing confirmations, and to ask questions!