https://p.ridj-it.com/app/trip-detail?id=90630 Sullivan Square
Sullivan Square(Medford Street / The Neck, Boston, MA, USA)
Boston, MA 02155
Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
Mount Hale is a 4,054 ft tall mountain in Bethlehem, NH in the Twin Range and is one of the 48 4000-footers. The summit is wooded with tall trees but the views are reasonably good. We take the Fire Warden Trail to the summit. We park at the Seven Dwarfs Motel, (528 Little River Rd, Twin Mountain, NH 03595 - note there is a parking fees of $10) and walk about 1.3 miles to the trail head of North Twin Trail to start the hike.
Please see below the full route.
Length: 9.6 miles
Elevation gain: 2,500 ft
All listed gear is required. I will be screening everyone going on this hike.
1) Waterproof winter hiking boots (no trail runners or summer hiking boots).
2) Microspikes; Absolutely no tiny studs or anything that does not have multiple sharp pointed edges.
3) Snowshoes (depending on trail conditions)
4) Waterproof and windproof shells for core and pants
5) Layered clothing system; no cotton
6) Insulated jacket (puffy - down or synthetic)
7) Winter Hat
8) Winter Gloves
9) Headlamp with extra batteries or another headlamp (days are much shorter)
10) 2-3 liters of water
11) Snacks and lunch ~2000 calories.
12) Extra clothing to change into after
13) Leg gaiters
14) Copy of the trail map: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/mount-hale-via-fire-warden-trail-50c3d76
1) Hiking poles (very helpful during descent on snowy / icy trails)
2) Hand and toe warmers
Please write your experience once you join if your Ridj-it profile does not have an extensive history.
Hiking 4000 footers in the winter is not an easy task. This particular hike has moderate elevation gain, but is long.
This hike is good for all peak baggers new to winter hiking who have taken the winter hiking class or equivalent. Additionally, if you have all of the required gear and have 3-season hiking experience, you may also attend.