Saturday, Jul 10, 2021 7:00a -
Wellington Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Medford, MA 02155
Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
IF YOU HAVE NO INTENTION OF COMPLETING THE NH 4000 FOOTERS, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS HIKE.
NO BEGINNERS. MUST HAVE PREVIOUS NH 4000 FT EXPERIENCE. THIS IS NOT A CHILL HIKE WHATSOEVER. NOBODY WANTS TO DO THIS BUT IF IT NEEDS TO BE DONE, NOW IS THE TIME.
This is a super long and uneventful hike. We’re in the middle of the summer and if there’s anytime to do this long hike, it’s now.
What you need to know:
- this is one of the few NH 4kers without a maintained trail. That means the trail won’t be completely obvious, and expect the terrain to be rough.
- ascending incline is about 5-7% grade mostly, then abrupt steep climb at the end.
- there is no view at the summit, just a cairn under some trees.
- in order to complete this comfortably, we will be HAULING ASS. Pace will be brisk and breaks will be short.
1. We’ll start the Lincoln Woods trail then branch left onto the Franconia Brook trail after 3 miles (so flat that some people bike this part)
2. After 1.7 miles, take a left onto the Lincoln Brook trail.
3.) Hike 3.4 miles until the junction for Owls Head path.
4.) 1.1 miles up a steep slide to get to the peak. The slide is very steep and consists of loose rocks. Going up this will require 2 hours of our hiking time.
5.) Take pics to prove to the world that we actually did Owls Head.
6.) Race back to the parking lot before it gets dark and let us not speak of this hike ever again.
Total hiking distance (out and back): 17.5 miles
Summit height: 4025ft
Elevation gain: 2992 ft
PLEASE BE PREPARED!!