https://www.revolutionaryspaces.org/old-south-meeting-house/ Old South Meeting House
310 Washington St
History, Kid Friendly, Rainy Day Ideas
Built in 1729 as the largest building in colonial Boston, Old South Meeting House has been an important gathering place for nearly three centuries. The Puritan congregation built their first wooden meeting house on this site in 1669 as the “Third Church” in Boston. When overcrowding became a problem, they replaced it in 1729 with the beautiful spacious brick meeting house that still stands today.
Standing in the center of town, the Old South Meeting House was colonial Boston’s largest building and was used for public gatherings as well as for worship. In Boston, meetings too large for Boston’s town hall, Faneuil Hall, were held at the Old South Meeting House because of its great size and central location. It was a prominent building with a bell and an enormous 1768 tower clock that is still working today. The Old South Meeting House clock is the nation’s oldest American-made tower clock still operating in its original location.
The congregation that built the brick Old South Meeting House in 1729 was descended from the Puritans who founded Massachusetts Bay Colony in the early 17th century.