https://p.ridj-it.com/app/trip-detail?id=60889 Wellington Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Wellington Revere Beach Pkwy
Medford, MA 02155
Hold on to your buns, because we’re going for 4,000+ feet of elevation gain over two separate hikes of 8 miles total. In addition to the targeted pain that we hikers love, this trip is a 3+ hour drive from Boston, so if you’re looking for some nice foliage combined with two mountains that are on the 52 With A View list, you’ve found the right hike. Huge bonus – we will be so far up north that we’ll be able to escape crowds of leaf peepers.
First we will hike North Percy (4.5 miles). Located at the southern end of Nash Stream Forest, the Percy Peaks are the most easily recognizable mountains in the Great North Woods. North Percy's enormous scarred granite dome is quite a striking feature, and one which makes for a difficult climb. Sections of the trail, especially near the summit, are among the most challenging in the area. But aside from being a competitor for the positions of most unique and most difficult in its area, North Percy is most certainly a qualified contender for the having the most beautiful summit view.
A short car-spot will allow us to do a loop. The distance between trailheads is about 8 minutes in the car, but on foot it would add some extra mileage. If we can’t car spot, then we’ll do an out-and-back!
After this first hike, we’ll hit Sugarloaf, deep in the Nash Stream Forest. This peak is one of the more unknown hiking destinations north of the White Mountains. It once was the location of a fire lookout and is located in a group of the tallest mountains in the region, giving its ledgy summit a good perspective of Nash Stream Forest and into the distance in many directions. Hikers on its summit feel isolated and far removed from the busy trails of the White Mountains, seen far to the south.
- Do not make this your first hike in New Hampshire. The only way you could join otherwise is if you have comparable experience with 4,000 footers in the Adirondacks. If you have experience COMPLETING a 4,000 footer in the White Mountains, this also serves as experience. Please don’t message stating that you have experience elsewhere – you won’t be allowed to join.
- You must either hike regularly (twice a month at 7+ miles with 1,800 ft elevation gain comfortably) or exercise regularly (meaning you could run 7 miles comfortably).
- You will have all of the gear listed – do not sign up otherwise.
- You will wear a mask in carpool or when we cannot socially distance.
North Percy Peak
Length: 4.5 miles
Elevation gain: 2,200 ft
Length: 4 miles
Elevation gain: 2,100 ft
Mandatory gear (no exceptions):
1) Hiking boots (no sneakers)
2) 3 liters of water
4) Lots of food
5) Gatorade or electrolyte replenishment (seriously)
6) Hiking appropriate attire including waterproof shells in case of rain (no jeans)
7) Copy of the map above on either Gaia, AllTrails, or printed
11) Mask for when you can't socially distance
12) Maps of these hike (seriously - have them on you somehow):
13) Jackets and other non-cotton layers in case of cold
1) Carpool is limited to two riders per car, so three people total. Please do not fall asleep - keep your driver company.
2) If you're a no-show or cancel last-minute in a predictably flaky fashion, I will not allow you on further trips with me. You're free to attend others' hikes though.
3) If you find yourself physically unable to finish, that's okay! No shame, and in fact, big respect for knowing your limits. Sometimes people have bad days - it's alright, but have the humility to quit if you know you can't finish at a reasonable pace (~2 average MPH). You will be responsible for guiding yourself back to the parking area if you are unable to finish - do not expect anyone to go with you.
4) Do not attend if you have had COVID symptoms in the past week or two. You will be turned away at the trail head if you look sick.