Celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by surrounding yourself with art, culture and community at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston! Enjoy free admission all day long at our annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Open House presented in partnership with Citizens Bank. An array of vibrant programs, performances and activities for all ages will take place throughout the day:
• Join Boston's Mayor Marty Walsh as he offers remarks to commemorate Dr. King and announces the winners of a city-wide essay contest for middle and high school students held by King Boston.
• Meet the MFA Teen Arts Council and drop in on a multimedia experience exploring the values of unity and liberation. Contribute to the interactive art installation, take a selfie and make protest buttons.
• Join the Boston City Singers for two show-stopping performances.
• Hear students from Project STEP (String Training Education Program) perform. The organization’s mission addresses the imbalance of racial and ethnic minorities represented in classical music by providing musically talented children comprehensive music and string instrument instruction through mentoring and performance opportunities.
• Celebrate creativity and culture through music with a performance by Castle of our Skins.
• Enjoy Spotlight Talks exploring important works of art and the African American artists who created them.
• Bring the kids on a fun, interactive Family Art Walk and drop in on a variety of family art-making activities around the Museum exploring themes of unity and compassion.
• Tours in Spanish, American Sign Language (ASL) and ASL-interpreted events will take place throughout the day.