Monday, Jul 20, 2020 10:00a -
10 Tyler Street
Somerville, Massachusetts 02143
Classes, Kid Friendly, Virtual & Streaming
Mission Control Seeks
• Teens rising, grades 6-10
• Beginner-Intermediate Skill Level
• No prior experience required; interest in engineering, robotics, and space exploration!
“Mission Control, we need your help!” Calling all junior engineers and roboticists. Are you ready to help build the first Martian colony? Mission Control needs your help to guide our three astronauts who have just landed on Mars to solve challenging engineering problems and program robots to create safe structures for humans. We’ve got a new team of astronauts heading to Mars now and are scheduled to arrive two weeks after you join our crew, so help our astronauts complete the first life-sustaining structure on another planet!
During this two week mission, you will be our go-to team on Earth for discovering solutions for our astronauts building on the Martian terrain. Log in daily to the inter-planetary transmission from our three Martian Astronauts to help solve their build and robotic challenges. As part of the team, you will receive model building equipment and robotics equipment to test out at home and explore multiple ways problem-solve for our astronauts. Once you’ve found the solution to their challenge, report back, and tell them how to build it!
What Parents Can Expect
• Classes will run online from 10AM-12PM and 1PM-3PM
• Students will need a laptop, access to Zoom, and will receive a materials kit prior to the start of class
• Kits can be available for pickup or mailed.
What Students Will Learn
• Programming: Repeat building block programs (Scratch-based), Microsoft Makecode, TinkerCAD 3D modeling and design
• Robotics & Engineering: Mechanical and electronic assembly, Arduino-based Circuit Playground
• Hands-On Building: Model building equipment, robotic arm
• Critical-thinking, problem-solving, team-work, effective communication in a digital environment