Join Greater Boston Stage Company for the production of:
MARIE AND ROSETTA
OCT 17-NOV 10, 2019
Gospel, guitar and the godmother of rock-n-roll.
THE FRONT PORCH ARTS COLLECTIVE
Celebrated for her ferocious guitar playing and swinging gospel music, Sister Rosetta Tharpe broke boundaries and influenced rock 'n' roll's earliest icons.
Set in 1940's Mississippi, Marie and Rosetta shows the legendary icon rehearsing with her young protegee, Marie Knight, as the two prepare to embark on a tour that will ultimately cement them as one of the greatest musical duos in history.
$37 SENIOR MATINEE
$20 STUDENTS (with valid ID)
Bringing fierce guitar playing and swing to gospel music, Sister Rosetta Tharpe was a musical legend in her time and a huge influence on Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix, and Ray Charles. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.
ABOUT THE PORCH
The Front Porch Arts Collective, in residence at Central Square Theater, is a new black theatre company committed to advancing racial equity in Boston through theater. The Front Porch namesake signifies a communal gathering place—a communal spirit which inspires its members to serve communities of color and the greater Boston area by producing art that is welcoming to all audiences and inspires a more tolerant and inclusive Boston.
THE FRONT PORCH VISION
• Examine the interactions between race, culture, economics, ability, gender, and sexuality from the black and brown perspective
• Challenge the biased narratives of black and brown people in America
• Increase representation on stage, back stage, in the office, audience and in the boardroom
• Endeavor to retain black and brown talent in Boston
• Train the next generation of black and brown theater artists to address societal change through theater.