This year, we are taking our Juneteenth community celebration online to honor the contributions of Black creatives, scholars, and artists to the City of Boston. Juneteenth is the oldest nationally observed commemoration of the ending of slavery in the US. We wish to commemorate this day with joy and resolve as we strive for justice and liberty in the continued fight for equity.
The event, streamed on Facebook and YouTube, will feature:
• The City Talks: Juneteenth Every Day, a panel discussion moderated by Makeeba McCreary, Patti and Jonathan Kraft Chief of Learning and Community Engagement, and featuring artist Rob "Problak" Gibbs, The Boston Globe columnist Adrian Walker, and trillfit CEO Heather White
• Storytime with artist and children's book illustrator Ekua Holmes, who will read "Black Is a Rainbow Color" by Angela Joy
• Art making led by artist and educator Chanel Thervil Artworks and inspired by Roberto Lugo's "Law and Order: The Reincarnation of Frederick Douglass" (2017) from the MFA's collection
• Spotlight Talk with artist Roberto Lugo, moderated by Michelle Millar Fisher, Ronald C. and Anita L. Wornick Curator of Contemporary Decorative Arts
• Recitations of speeches, poems and song lyrics by participants in the MFA's teen programs
• Performances by Débo Ray and DJ Where's Nasty, curated by BAMS Fest
Sponsored by @Chase. The City Talks is presented with support from the Dori H. Rahbar and Cameron R. Rahbar Fund.
The typeface for the word "Juneteenth" in our graphic was designed by Tré Seals of Vocal Type Co., who was inspired by historic imagery of protest signs from the 1963 March on Washington to create the letterforms. Seals named the typeface "Bayard," after civil rights leader Bayard Rustin.
Share this event
19/06/2020 16:00:00 19/06/2020 19:00:0015Juneteenth at the MFA This year, we are taking our Juneteenth community celebration online to honor the contributions of Black creatives, scholars, and artists to the City of Boston. Juneteenth is the oldest nationally ... Facebook + YouTube via Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA OrganizerOrganizer e-mailfalseDD/MM/YYYY Reddit