https://p.ridj-it.com/app/trip-detail?id=60538 Wellington (Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford, MA 02155, USA)
Wellington Revere Beach Pkwy
Medford, MA 02155
Date Idea, Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
Capsridge trail is the shortest and most popular trail to get to the summit of Jefferson. Let’s not make the same as everyone…
We will be hiking up into the castle ravine, filled up with nasty rocks that are ready to slip under your shoe and make your ankles twist. Then, the summit of Mount Jefferson will be waiting for you. Half way, you will have to hike down castle trail, very steep trail, with castles of rocks that arise on your way here and there….
This hike is rated Difficult, and not for beginner hikers. Castle trail is among the terrifying 25, and castle ravine among the elective of the terrifying 25 list. It is going to be steep, you will use your hand to climb. The footing will be unstable and rough in the castle ravine. Proper hiking boots are mandatory. The weather condition is a huge determinant. The hike will be postponed if it rains/thunderstorms. No Slippery nasty rocks.
8.4 miles. – 4000ft. The hike looks short, but serious steep sections are visible on topography map.
That’s where you check the weather to prepare your hike and not asking what’s the weather like:
What I expect from you:
- If you have no ridj it history, answer the following question. When was your last hikes, where was it, What was the elevation gain…? Do you do any workout (what type of workout)?
It will help me to avoid situations where I would have to burry your body under rocks if you cant make it to the top.
- know the trail that we are taking
- pay attention to the trail and not going off trail ( the piles of rock in alpine zone are not temples for the god of the mountain… you know the cairns…)
- pay attention to your fellow hikers because when you hike in a group, it's a TEAM GAME, other wise… go for SOLO hiking!
- bring your happy attitude, if you don't own any, just pretend!
· Hiking/trail running shoes - no sneakers
· Non cotton layers
· Insulation layer (fleece, long sleeve T-shirt)—Yeah baby, it’s cold up there
· Rain coat/rain pants --> even if forecast announces NO RAIN
· Map of the hike PAPER and GAIA/ALLTRAIL
· Trekking poles (optional)
· Bug spray
PLEASE EAT a BREAKFAST !
* Snack and food/ lunch
* 3 liters of water and electrolytes
* your safety kit, especially ibuprofen cause you may need it after this hike. I sell them 2$/pill
Please, do not overestimate your physical abilities. If you have questions, you are invited to ask them in the chat box.