Please join Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas (AMED) Studies Program and Al-Adab Journal in the roundtable on “Indigenous, Black and Brown Liberation: Abolition, Reparations, and Resistance” on August 19, 2020, 10 am - 12 noon PST (1-3pm EST, 8-10pm Lebanon and Palestine).
This second "US in Depth" roundtable will focus on resistance to settler colonialism, white supremacy, anti-Blackness and imperialism, from the Trail of Tears, Fugitive Slave Patrols, and COINTELPRO to contemporary mass incarceration; and from racial, gendered and sexualized violence to invasions and detention of protesters and activists on the streets of Portland, Seattle and Palestine.
Movement leaders will also share historical accounts of strategies of resistance from different struggles, including Alcatraz; Wounded Knee; the Black Panther; Movement for Black Lives; Chicano Moratorium; Raza Education; Puerto Rican Independence; reparations; and the abolition of the prison industrial complex.
We are honored to host such distinguished leaders who need no introduction:
* Guadalupe (Lupe) Carrasco Cardona, Co-Chair, 50th Chicano Moratorium Committee & Chair, Raza Educators LA
* Charlene Carruthers, Founding National Director, Black Youth Project 100 & Executive Director, Chicago Center for Leadership and Transformation
* Emory Douglas, Revolutionary Artist & Minister of Culture, Black Panthers Party, 1967-1980s
* Oscar Lopez Rivera, Longest held (35 years) Political Prisoner in the history of Puerto Rico; Initiator, Fundación OLR Libertá
* Claude Marks, Co-founder, Freedom Archives & Co-Director, "COINTELPRO 101"
* Madonna Thunder Hawk (Oohenumpa Lakota), Lakota People's Law Project & American Indian Movement
IFCO/Pastors for Peace
Jewish Voice for Peace, Bay Area
Jewish Voice for Peace, Boston
Jewish Voice for Peace, UCLA
Palestinian Youth Movement
Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network
The Association of Raza Educators, Los Angeles
US Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel
Workers World Party
Register in advance for this webinar:
This roundtable will be simultaneously streamed live on the AMED Studies and Al-Adab Journal, and Dar Al-Adab publishing house Facebook Pages.