Saturday, Aug 08, 2020 8:00a -
Wellington Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Wellington Revere Beach Pkwy
Medford, MA 02155
Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
Enjoy two 52 With A View mountains on this intermediate hike! This hike is labeled as such because the hikes by themselves are fairly short, but we will combine both into a full-day of hiking! This is a perfect hike for people to build confidence for hiking, especially in groups of others. I've done solo hiking, but I won't be focusing on that for this trip. Instead, I'll give lots of opportunities for people to develop their leadership skills. However, if you want to attend just to hike, that's fine.
You must be in shape - no, this does not mean body builder or ultra runner. If you are, cool, you can still join, but this adventure is more for those who do running, jogging, biking, and swimming at very moderate levels. I can hike 18 miles in a day with about 6,000+ ft elevation gain, but this isn't that type of jaunt. However, if you do not exercise regularly (or hike) this trip is NOT for you. Bummed? No worries - post your own hike, and reach out to Ridj-it admin if you need help doing so.
1,500 ft elevation gain
1,400 ft elevation gain
Both of these mountains are on the 52 WAV list which means the views on top will be nice. If we complete the first, Hedgehog, and a few people want to skip the second one, no worries, just hang out at the trailhead or take a walk to Sabbaday Falls. Both hikes start at the same spot but diverge in different directions.
Gear - mandatory, don't ask otherwise:
1) Hiking boots or trail runners (not regular tennis shoes)
2) 2 - 3 liters of water
3) Sandwich and food
4) Electrolytes - yes, a gatorade or other version is mandatory
5) Electronic or physical maps of the hike (as included above) - don't show up without access to a map. I don't mind if you can't read it 100%, but showing up without one expecting me to guide you is a massive no no and I'll ask you to leave since you could otherwise pay me $200 for guiding you.
6) Hat, sunglasses, bug spray, and SPF protection
7) Athletic clothing
8) Swimsuit or clothing to jump into the water somewhere - I've been really into this the past couple of hikes, and your limbs will thank you for it.
I hike because I love it. I share my hikes because I feel a civic responsibility to help others enjoy the outdoors. I want to hike with others who share the same beliefs, and I'm into teamwork. There is a fee for non-carpoolers because they have a tendency of flaking or coming from Boston without offering a ride to others. This fee helps make sure I don't deal with dropouts and that spots aren't stolen by flakes.