Friday, Nov 27, 2020 9:00a -
Alewife(Cambridge, MA 02140, USA)
Cambridge, MA 02140
Film, Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
One of the easiest 4,000 footers in the White Mountains. We will meet at Alewife at 5:45 AM and leave no later than 6 AM to drive up to the North Country for this hike. Taking the Starr King trail we will cover about 6.9 miles and 2,729 feet of elevation gain. It has easy grades and good footing. Total hiking time should be 5 hours. While Waumbek itself has no views from the summit our path will take us across Starr King which has good views of the Presidential range. Although this hike is considered one of the easiest 4,000 footers in the White Mountains it will still be strenuous for anyone who has not recently hiked in the Whites. If you are unsure of your ability to keep with the group please contac the trip leader. We are a friendly bunch and welcome newcomers (how else are you going to get experience?) but no one has fun if someone is just not prepared for the challenge.
Distance: 6.9 miles
Elevation gain: 2729 ft
1) Hiking boots or trail runners (please, no city tennis shoes)
2) Non- cotton clothing for pants and core(no cotton hoodies) Please bring layers a warm hat & gloves
3) Non-cotton socks (one pair of extra socks)
4) 2 litters of water
5) Lunch and snacks
7) A backpack to hold all gear
Before hiking we will review required equipment, safety protocols, and the route for the hike.
LEVEL 2: Moderate. Walking surface typically on gravel or groomed surfaces with occasional obstacles. May be rough, steep, and involve un-bridged stream crossings.
Due to the current pandemic, it has become necessary to make the following changes to our guided hikes -
1. Advanced online registration and payment will be necessary to limit contact
2. Participants will be required to meet at the trail head - Transportation will not be provided
3. Face mask use is mandatory for all participants - please bring your own mask and use when in close proximity to others
4. Please bring your own hand sanitizer and use frequently
5. Space is limited to 6 participants
6. We will practice social distancing while hiking
Thank you for your understanding of these safety policies, we greatly appreciate your participation in keeping our community safe.
You should be able to perform moderate to challenging cardio for a few hours at a time.
Running on a treadmill is a good indicate of the fitness you need to do well on this hike.