Sunday, Jan 17, 2021 10:00a -
Wellington(Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford, MA 02155, USA)
Wellington Revere Beach Pkwy
Medford, MA 02155
Date Idea, Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
Length: 5 miles
Elevation gain: 2,500 ft
You should join this trip if...
1) You have recent winter hiking (meaning in this past month and beyond) experience in the 4,000 footers of NH or ADK
2) You have taken a winter hiking class
3) You have all of the mandatory gear listed below
4) You understand that the difficulty is listed as "difficult" for those who do not go hiking often in winter, whereas this hike would be moderate to easy for those who winter hike often.
5) 1.8 mph average pace does not seem killer to you
1) I am not a guide and this is not a service - I expect you to be fully prepared with the gear listed below and the mindset that you could get yourself out of trouble if needed.
2) We stick together - this is a group event, so if you feel that you are not flexible in working as a team, this will not be a good hike for you.
3) You can be turned away from carpool or the trailhead if you look/seem unprepared.
4) We will follow COVID guidelines and wear masks during carpool and on the trail when social distancing cannot be maintained. Do not show up if you do not agree to the COVID guidelines.
5) Showing up without registering on Ridj-it with a profile and then actually signing up for the trip is a safety hazard and will get you banned. Do not message to join in any alternative manner.
Please answer the following questions before/when you join unless your Ridj-it profile is amazing
1. When were your last three hikes? How many miles were they? How much elevation gain?
2. What does your weekly exercise routine look like?
3. Do you have all of the gear marked as required below?
Mandatory gear (yes, mandatory)
1) Waterproof winter hiking boots (no trail runners or summer hiking boots)
2) Microspikes; Absolutely no tiny studs or anything that does not have multiple sharp pointed edges.
4) Waterproof and windproof shells for core and pants
5) Layered clothing system; no cotton
6) Insulated jacket (puffy - down or synthetic)
8) Winter Gloves
9) Headlamp (days are much shorter)
10) 2 liters of water or water treatment method
11) Snacks and lunch ~2000 calories.
12) Extra clothing to change into after (mandatory, your clothes will get wet during this hike)
13) Snowshoes - you can rent when signing up if needed