https://p.ridj-it.com/app/trip-detail?id=87134 Wellington Station
Wellington Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Medford, MA 02155
Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
Mount Waumbek and Mount Starr King Trail is a 6.5 mile out and back trail located near Jefferson, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. Depending on the weather, you might need to bring microspikes, non-cotton layers and winter hiking boots.
Beautiful trail through open hardwoods to great view of Northern Presidentials. The trail starts off through a beautiful hardwood forest with an open feel with out any leaves on the trees. The grade begins as a steady, gentle incline and never gets very steep. At 3,000 feet the hard woods are replaced by evergreens, creating a cozy feel as you approach the summit of Starr King. The best views are from Starr King to the south overlooking a vast plain and the entire Presidential Range. The trail continues on at the large stone fireplace left from a former shelter. The summit of Waumbek is wooded, but the walk over from Starr King is beautiful.
Previous and recent White Mountain hiking experience is required - you must have done at least 2,000 ft of elevation gain within the past three months. And if you don't have the gear, you will not be allowed to join the hike. No exceptions!
If your Ridj-it profile is bare, please answer these questions:
1) When were your last three hikes? When were they? How many miles was each one? What was the elevation gain of each one? (Note - not total elevation - elevation gain).
2) What does your exercise routine look like?
3) Will you have all of the required gear for this hike? Seriously, don't sign up if you don't.
Gear you will need (no exceptions):
1) Hiking shoes
2) Lots of snacks for yourself
3) A bottle or container that can hold 2-3 liters of water + some electrolytes
4) Rain/wind proof gear
5) Digital map/printed or download
6) Athletic clothing - non-cotton.
7) Headlamp or flashlight - phone does not count
8) Microspikes & warm layers - will depend on the weather.
9) Smile. That's the curve that sets everything straight.