https://p.ridj-it.com/app/trip-detail?id=98399 Wellington (Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford, MA 02155, USA)
Revere Beach Pkwy
Medford, MA 02155
Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
This hike is rated as "intermediate" because of elevation gain on the first hike, not so much distance or technical needs. The mountains are also separated by a 9-minute drive, so in case people are too tired to hike the 2nd one (which is much easier than the 1st), they can go hang around Gorham and check out some cool spots. Basically, this is a low-pressure environment, but the adventure requires physical fitness. In summation, if you have hiked 4 - 5 miles this summer (in one hike) or if you are a runner/jogger and exercise aerobically on a regular basis, you can do this. Do not make this your first hike in the White Mountains unless you have all of the required gear (listed below - all mandatory) and run regularly. This is not a good hike for people who don't exercise.
Now the fun stuff...
This impressive cliff on the side of North Carter Mountain provides stunning views of Pinkham Notch, Mt. Washington, and the Northern Presidentials. It also has what is probably the best view of the Great Gulf from afar. Standing on the cliff is quite amazing as well, as there is a sheer drop of several hundred feet on two sides.
Pine mountain is a small hike (with a little bit of road walking) that will provide us rewarding views as well. The fall foliage is expected to be near peak so colors will be incredible.
Length: 4 miles
Elevation gain: 1,900 ft
Length: 3.5 miles
Elevation gain: 930 ft
Mandatory gear (no exceptions):
1) Hiking boots (no sneakers)
2) 3 liters of water
4) Lots of food
5) Gatorade or electrolyte replenishment (seriously)
6) Hiking appropriate attire including waterproof shells in case of rain (no jeans)
7) Copy of the map above on either Gaia, AllTrails, or printed
11) Maps of these hike (seriously - have them on you somehow):
Imp Face: Route: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/PfjGuAW0bWhY5KO8zErYuTIa
Pine Mountain: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/BlQRDtMXzlSVgL2TRmMQzlay
1) Carpool is limited to two riders per car, so three people total. Please do not fall asleep - keep your driver company.
2) If you're a no-show or cancel last-minute in a predictably flaky fashion, I will not allow you on further trips with me. You're free to attend others' hikes though.
3) If you find yourself physically unable to finish, that's okay! No shame, and in fact, big respect for knowing your limits. Sometimes people have bad days - it's alright, but have the humility to quit if you know you can't finish at a reasonable pace (~2 average MPH). You will be responsible for guiding yourself back to the parking area if you are unable to finish - do not expect anyone to go with you.
Again, if you have any questions about this hike, please don't be shy! Just ask on the Ridj-it trip wall and I'll respond as soon as I can.