https://p.ridj-it.com/app/trips-search?id=42044 Wellington Revere Beach Pkwy
Revere Beach Pkwy
Medford, MA 02155
< 21, Date Idea, Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
This trip we will be hiking Carter Dome and Mount Hight. Carter Dome is a 4000 footer and also the ninth tallest of the 48, at 4832 feet. While Mount Hight doesn't have the prominence to be a 4000 footer, it does have better views, some of the best in the Whites.
We will be going up the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail then turning onto the Carter Dome Trail, turning onto the Carter-Moriah Trail, then going over Mount Hight and then Carter Dome, then descending to Nineteen Mile Brook. The whole trip should be about 10 miles and 3500 feet of elevation gain. A link to the map can be found here:
Since this is the beginning of the winter season, and is a fairly strenuous hike, everybody should have previous experience hiking in the White Mountains as well as hiking in winter.
When you sign up on Ridj-it, answer the following three questions:
1. What past experience do you have hiking in the White Mountains?
Note: if you have previously mainly hiked abroad provide names of specific mountains you have hiked so I can compare them to the White Mountains. The White Mountains despite being low elevation can match or exceed difficulty and elevation gain of many hikes in the Rockies, so do not underestimate them.
2. Have you done hikes in the winter before?
3. Will you bring all the items on the gear list?
The following gear list is required:
1) Hiking boots
3) Warm insulating layer
4) Wool or synthetic base layer.
5) Shell layer, such as rain gear, Jacket + rain pants
6) 2-4 liters of water, insulated. Don't put it outside your pack, or it may freeze depending on weather.
7) food for lunch. Electrolytes such as Gatorade also recommended.
9) wool or synthetic socks plus an extra pair
10) warm hat
12) Map of the hike, either the digital one above or a printed copy of it.