https://p.ridj-it.com/app/trip-detail?id=89959 Wellington(Revere Beach Pkwy, Medford, MA 02155, USA)
Revere Beach Pkwy, MA 02155
Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
Black Mountain's summit offers wonderful views in many directions from its many ledges. The most common route up to the summit of Black Mountain is via the Chippewa Trail off Lime Kiln Road. There are several view points off rock ledges before you even reach the summit. The mountain was once home to a fire tower that has since been removed.
You should join this trip if...
1) You have taken a winter hiking class
2) You have all of the mandatory gear listed below
3) You understand that the difficulty is listed as "moderate" for those who do not go hiking often in winter. However, for those that hike often and in winter, this hike would be easy.
4) 1.5 mph average pace does not seem killer to you
1) I am not a guide and this is not a service - I expect you to be fully prepared with the gear listed below and the mindset that you could get yourself out of trouble if needed.
2) We stick together - this is a group event, so if you feel that you are not flexible in working as a team, this will not be a good hike for you.
3) You can be turned away from carpool or the trailhead if you look/seem unprepared.
4) You need to be vaccinated and have your booster. Not accepting anti-science folks.
5) Showing up without registering on Ridj-it with a profile and then actually signing up for the trip is a safety hazard and will get you banned. Do not message to join in any alternative manner.
6) Don't make must-attend plans for after the adventure; nobody will be rushing back to Boston.
Please answer the following questions before/when you join unless your Ridj-it profile is amazing
1. When were your last three hikes? How many miles were they? How much elevation gain?
2. What does your weekly exercise routine look like?
3. Do you have all of the gear marked as required below?
Mandatory gear (yes, mandatory)
1) Waterproof winter hiking boots (no trail runners or summer hiking boots)
2) Microspikes; Absolutely no tiny studs or anything that does not have multiple sharp pointed edges.
4) Waterproof and windproof shells for core and pants
5) Layered clothing system; no cotton
6) Insulated jacket (puffy - down or synthetic)
8) Winter Gloves
9) Headlamp (days are much shorter)
10) 2 liters of water or water treatment method
11) Snacks and lunch ~2000 calories.
12) Extra clothing to change into after (mandatory, your clothes will get wet during this hike)
13) I will make the call about snowshoes once the date gets closer; they can be rented on the way up as well