https://www.eventbrite.com/e/half-day-ocean-therapy-retreats-tickets-153020036047 Nahant Beach
1 Nahant Rd.
Nahant, MA 01908
Classes, Meetup, Social Good, Sports & Active Life
Join Boston Harbor Now and Toadstool Walks on a 3-hour guided therapeutic experience. Slow down and awaken your senses in the unique urban wilderness areas of Boston Harbor.
Forest Bathing, inspired by the Japanese practice of Shinrin-yoku, is a restorative sensory exploration that supports health and healing for all beings. From increased cerebral blood flow to stronger immune defenses, come discover for yourself what happens when we unplug, slow down and open our senses to notice more of our natural surroundings. Forest Bathing is part of a global effort to tend to the stressful conditions of living in modern industrialized civilization. All the prompts, invitations, sharing and ways of participating are optional and open to interpretation.
Tam Willey (they/she/he) is a certified forest therapy guide, trainer, mentor and teacher with the Association of Nature and Forest Therapy and is the founder of "Toadstool Walks," a small guiding practice based in Boston, Massachusetts. Tam has guided Forest Therapy in collaboration with The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, The Emerald Necklace Conservancy, Mass Audubon, Peabody Essex Museum, Lesley University Holistic Psychology and Wellness, Boston University School Of Theology, and more. Tam designs and runs immersion retreats with organizations such as Boston Harbor Now and The Venture Out Project and has been mentoring and serving LGBTQ Youth through various programs in Boston for the last decade. Tam is passionate about the ways that forest therapy can build our collective empathy and compassion, broadening and healing relationships, human and beyond, supporting our remembering that we are not only in relationship with nature but rather that we are nature. For more information about Tam, check out ToadstoolWalks.com
Covid-19 Protocol: All participants are required to bring and wear a mask that covers their mouth and nose at all times and maintain at least 6 feet of distance between the instructor and other parties. All participants will be expected to abide by these rules during the walk and expected to sign an agreement before the walk.
- This event will be limited to 12 participants
- Do not attend if you are exhibiting symptoms or aren't feeling well within two weeks before the event
- Anyone who develops symptoms or tests positive for Covid-19 within two weeks after the event, must agree to inform the guide as soon as possible (see liability & release form below)
- If you have travelled outside Massachusetts, you must agree to abide by the most up to date state Travel Advisory guidelines - https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-advisory
Ages: This program is geared toward adults (18+)
Arriving: Meet Tam on the beach side of the Halfway Bathhouse - https://goo.gl/maps/EUj4iynEgH9fS21r6
Parking: Street parking is available along Lynn Shore Drive.
Daily parking fees apply at Nahant Beach lots from 8am to 6pm, May through November. At some locations, DCR is accepting cash and/or credit cards.
- MA residents $10
- Non-MA residents $40
Restrooms: Public restrooms will be closed for this session. Please plan accordingly.
What to bring:
- *REQUIRED*: A printed and signed liability & release form. If you do not have access to a printer, you may email your form to [email protected] within 24 hours of the event. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YTJzKUtvbeQMf3ump3MQf53ALBZ_wbUI9Ga2OHglRxY/edit
- *REQUIRED*: A mask or face covering (you will not be able to participate without a mask, even if you have been vaccinated)
- Something to sit on such as a light camp chair, blanket, towel or small tarp. We will be sitting and the ground may be wet or cold.
- Comfortable walking shoes and comfortable clothes with an extra warm layer. Be prepared for cooler temperatures and possible rain. This is a rain or shine event, but could be cancelled in the case of severe weather.
- Water bottle, bug repellant, & sunscreen
- A light bag or backpack for your possessions to keep your hands free