Monday, Oct 14, 2019 10:00a -
Boston, MA 02215
Art, Date Idea, Festivals & Fairs, Kid Friendly, Music, Performing Arts
Opening Our Doors brings together Fenway cultural institutions and community partners in a day of free cultural offerings for the entire family.
The day kicks off at 10am at the Christian Science Plaza at 235 Huntington Avenue / Avenue of the Arts overlooking the newly restored iconic Reflecting Pool. After enjoying a complimentary cupcake from Oakleaf Cakes,walk or bike with official transportation sponsor Bluebikes to visit locations throughout the Fenway for art exhibitions and activities, cultural experiences, musical and dance performances, and more! Festival events will be held everywhere from Berklee College of Music, Massachusetts Historical Society, the First Church Plaza, and Mary Baker Eddy Library to institutions down the Huntington Avenue / Avenue of the Arts corridor with programs at Boston Symphony Orchestra, New England Conservatory, YMCA at Huntington Avenue, Museum of Fine Arts, Emerald Necklace Conservancy, SMFA at Tufts, Simmons University, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, and Evans Way Park. Opening Our Doors invites the community into the Fenway – the cultural heart and soul of Boston.
- Kick-off Ceremony with: Boston Poet Laureate Porsha Olayiwola, 826Boston students celebrating the life of poet Robert Burns, a performance by Boston Children’s Chorus, a New Orleans style parade with the Hot Tamale Brass Band, and cupcakes from Oakleaf Cakes!
- Featured performances by: New England Conservatory, Bow Sim Mark Tai Chi Arts Academy, Boston Children’s Chorus, Eon Dance Troupe, Kaliente Dance Troupe, Madrigal Singers at Northeastern University, Sociedad Latina, Zili Misik, and more!
- Urban Sketchers Boston Sketchwalk sponsored by Blick Art
- Japanese Tea Ceremony and Koto performance at Kaji Aso Studio
- Interactive I am …YOU community mural with ARCK (Art Resource Collaborative for Kids)
Build Mass Ave interactive sculpture activity with the Boston Society of Architects at the Mary Baker Eddy Library
- Acrylic Painting with local artist Brendan Cobb
- Rhythm + Dance with Grooversity at Evans Way Park
- Veronica Robles All Female Mariachi Band at Evans Way Park
- Historic Walking Tour of the Fenway led by Massachusetts Historical Society
- Indoor Kite Flying by Archie Stewart + Co. at the YMCA on Huntington Ave/Avenue of the Arts
- Indigenous People’s Day and Open House at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston + the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
The Festival Map + Full Schedule will be available at www.fenwayculture.org/opeingourdoors