NOTE: The 2019 date for this event has not been set yet. It generally happens on the Tuesday before or after Thanksgiving. So in 2019, it will likely occur on either Tuesday, 11/26 or Tuesday, 12/3.
Join thousands of Bostonians in lighting the city's first holiday tree of the season! The live broadcast on WBZ-TV Channel 4 and myTV38 from 7:30 – 8:00PM.
The official Blink! Tree Lighting takes place on November 27 during the live broadcast on WBZ-TV/CBS Boston at 7:30 p.m. It will feature appearances by Santa Claus, The City of Boston Community Choir, holiday singers, and the official flipping of the switch to illuminate thousands of twinkling lights synchronized to music.
Mayor Martin J. Walsh will help “flip the switch” to light the 80-foot+ holiday tree, located at Marketplace Center adjacent to Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
The lighting marks the start of Blink!, a six week state-of-the-art light and sound extravaganza featuring more than 350,000 LED lights with daily performances between 4:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. The event also kicks off the New England Patriots Annual Holiday Toy Drive for which Faneuil Hall Marketplace will be a drop-off location for toy donations for needy children.
Fun facts about the tree:
- The Faneuil Hall holiday tree is 80 feet tall without the star – 83 feet tall with the star.
- It is the largest holiday tree in New England, and is likely to be taller than Rockefeller Center’s tree (which is normally about 75 feet tall).
- The 85-year-old, 12-ton Norwegian Spruce comes from Long Island, New York.
- It is scheduled to arrive on November 7th and begins installation on November 8th.
- It takes 10 people to raise the tree, followed by 12 days to set up and decorate with 30,000 lights and 1,000 strobes.