Saturday, Oct 17, 2020 8:30p -
City Hall Fall River
Fall River, MA 02720
Festivals & Fairs, Music
FABRIC 2020 arts festival seeks to inspire a narrative that celebrates and reflects the urban and social fabric of Fall River, its industrial heritage in textile mills, and its deeply rooted cultural bond with Portugal. Organized by Casa dos Açores de Nova Inglaterra under the leadership of Michael Benevides in Fall River, and with the curatorship of international art impresarios Jesse James, Sofia Carolina Botelho and António Pedro Lopes, all elements of the festival will aim to enlighten and inspire while respecting the need for physical distancing.
FABRIC 2020 will bring international musical performances to Fall River. In a time of limited travel, five free concert screenings, each lasting 30 minutes, will be pre-recorded specifically for Fall River audiences. Each show will be projected onto iconic city buildings including the Potter's Printing Inc. (former Herald News Building) and Fall River City Hall. The artists will be working in and around forms of fado and traditional Portuguese songs and instruments that reinterpret principles of identity, history, and belonging. The performers will be:
● Ricardo Rocha, one of fado’s most intriguing guitarists;
● Great-grandson of the fado singer Celeste Rodrigues, Gaspar Varela;
● Rafael Carvalho, viola da terra’s master, the instrument of the 2 hearts and 12 chords which are synonymous with “açorianidade”;
● The poetry of Miguel Torga with the power of performance and harmonies of rising duo Lavoisier;
● Ground-breaking queer fado beasts Fado Bicha, whose sense of subversion of the traditional forms and lyrics and fado have given them international attention.
Performances will take place on October 16 and 17 from 8:30pm-11pm.