Monday, Apr 15, 2019 9:00a -
Hopkington to Boston
Date Idea, Festivals & Fairs, Kid Friendly, Sports & Active Life
Enjoy 50% off a ride up to $10 to select MBTA stations to get you to the Boston Marathon, courtesy of Lyft and The Boston Calendar. Redeem your discount via this link.
The Boston Marathon is the world's oldest annual marathon and ranks as one of the world's most prestigious road racing events. The Boston Athletic Association manages this American classic, which is sponsored by John Hancock Financial Services. The Boston Marathon has distinguished itself as the pinnacle event within the sport of road racing by virtue of its traditions, longevity and method of gaining entry into the race (via qualification).
Here's some general information if you're planning to watch the race:
1) The race starts on Main Street in Hopkinton, MA and finishes on Beacon Street in front of the Boston Public Library. Here
is a helpful course map.
2) The mobility impaired will be the first to leave the starting line at 9:02AM. Elite woman will leave at 9:32AM, elite men at 10:00AM.
3) The first to cross the finish line are elite woman and men runners, usually after 11:30AM. First, second, and third wave runners will continue to finish well into the late afternoon.
4) Don't drive into Boston on Marathon Monday. You will hate your life. Parking restrictions and street closures.
5) Public drinking is a no-no. You need to have a disguised container; DO NOT carry a backpack.
6) If you're watching the race in the homestretch, grab a drink at one of the many bars and restaurants along the route. Cleveland Circle is always a great place to watch. In Brookline you've got Hopsters and Publick House, in in Fenway we highly recommend Eastern Standard, and near the finish line you can go to Forum, Solas, the Pour House, or many other bars.
7) Check out the BAA's spectator info page
. It's very helpful.
8) Watch online: http://watchlive.baa.org
9) Here's the Globe's 11 top places to watch the Boston Marathon
10) Cheer, cheer, cheer on the runners.
: 26 miles, 385 yards (42.195 Kilometers)