Join a Boston Athenæum docent for an hour-long tour focused on the architectural history of the Athenæum's building and on the institution's fine arts collection. The Athenæum’s current home—its fifth—opened in 1849 and has been expanded and renovated twice, once from 1913 to 1915 and again from 1999 to 2002.
The Athenæum’s collection of fine art is one of the most significant to have been formed in the United States in the first half of the nineteenth century. The tour will highlight select paintings and sculptures from the collection on view throughout the building.
Tours are limited in size and often sell out. We recommend booking a month in advance, especially for Sundays.
Call Circulation at 617-227-0270, ext. 221 to register.
The Athenæum's five galleried floors overlook the peaceful Granary Burying Ground, and, as Gamaliel Bradford wrote in 1931, "it is safe to say that [no library] anywhere has more an atmosphere of its own, that none is more conducive to intellectual aspiration and spiritual peace." The building was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1966.