Saturday, May 14, 2016 12:00p -
Aeronaut Brewing Company
14 Tyler Street
Somerville, MA 02143
< 21, Alcohol, Date Idea, Film, Festivals & Fairs, Innovation, Music, Nightlife, Party, Performing Arts, Social Good
*** FREE but please register via our Eventbrite link to plan, registration doesn't guarentee entry. First come first serve and dependent upon Aeronaut's capacity. Thanks! ***
Jed Hammel (aka me) sometimes organizes free events such as the Filmshift Film Festival, Volta Visual Learning Labs, and the 2014 City Awake closing night party (with ACI and Intelligent Mischief). For this one, the fine folks at Startup Institute are sponsoring the event and the equally fine folks at Aeronaut are allowing me to program the entertainment in their space. Hashtag woo.
Access to the space is free but please register.
FILMS 12-7 | LIVE MUSIC / DJ'S / PHOTOBOOTH / SWAG BAGS 7-Midnight
- Independent films screened in Aeronaut's community space from Noon until evening.
- Live music solo set from Julia Mark (from the BMA-winning Ruby Rose Fox band)
- DJ sets from DJ/producer Madillac and DJ Mike Gioscia (WZLX, WFNX, Lansdowne Street clubs, City Awake).
- An attempt at a bar-wide game or two of Telephone, and perhaps a sing along to "Jump" by Kris Kross is possible...Maybe, we'll try.
- 80's movie-style slow clap welcoming each musician to the stage is strongly encouraged.
- Open Booth photo booth for "Red Carpet" photos.
- Art projected from artist from Arts Connect International. ACI cultivates & connects leaders in the arts field committed to cultural inclusion and social equity on a global scale.
- We'll also hand out a limited supply of free swag bags provided by Startup Institute which will be filled with offerings from Gather/Brew restaurant at District Hall, Community Boating, Inc., the Design Museum Foundation, and Imagine magazine.
Why put it on? Because it's fun and bringing people together to experience film, music, and art is valuable
A FEW OF THE FILMS SCREENING:
"A Big Love Story" - Winner of 5 Best of Festival awards and the Hollywood Reporter notes that it: “brings fresh life to the overworked romantic comedy genre.” Sam is a former college football star whose chance to play in the NFL abruptly ended with a blown out knee. Seven years after his injury, he finds himself alone, working a minimum wage job and weighing a deadly 413lbs. The time has come for some change; the time has come for some weight loss Knowing this is not a road he can go alone, Sam hires a personal trainer to kick his ass into shape. But as time goes on, sp does the romantic tension between the two.
"New Generation Queens" - This feature documentary is the story of Zanzibar’s women’s soccer team, the New Generation Queens. The movie examines the history and culture around women’s soccer in Zanzibar. It also follows the team to mainland Tanzania, where the Queens participate in a tournament for the first time and several hope to be recruited to the Tanzanian national.
"The Legacy" - Winner Best Film at Comic Con San Diego,”The Legacy,” was selected into the Cannes Film Festival Short Film Corner, has over 1 million views on Youtube, and received national theatrical release with a mid-sized theater chain. What would you do if you believed your father was a superhero? The Legacy brings to life a story about fathers and sons, imagination and magic, and believing in something larger than ourselves. Starring Paul Butcher, ( “Zoey 101,”) Louis Iacoviello, and Jo McGinley.
"Wonderful World 3D" - The Earth: home to over two million species of plants and animals. A remarkable biodiversity stemming from complex processes taking place over billions of years. The result is a beautiful composition of ever-changing landscapes: steep mountains, deep forests, vast oceans and arctic ice fields. The animals and plants that inhabit them have developed different strategies to adapt to various climates and conditions. It is an incredibly beautiful, constantly changing entity – our wonderful world.
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR AMAZING SPONSORS (THEY'RE MY FAVORITES)
- Startup Institute
- Arts Connect International
- Aeronaut Brewery
- Community Boating, Inc.
- Imagine Magazine
Attendance is free, first-come-first-serve, and dependent upon Aeronaut's capacity, but please register so we can plan accordingly. Entry into the space is handled by Aeronaut, so I suggest getting there on the early-side. 21+ strictly enforced. Please don't drink and drive.